Learn How To Make HTML5 Games
With a Step by Step Guide to Phaser | Over 1,500 Copies Sold
Building your own video games is incredibly fun, and here's a book to help you do that.
In the book you will learn:
- How to create a full featured 2D platformer.
- How to make it mobile friendly.
- And how to port it to iOS/Android.
Everything is explained step by step with simple explanations. You just need some basic programming knoweldge to understand everything.
This book is using Phaser, the best HTML5 framework to make 2D games.
Convinced? Jump straight to the packages.
What You Will Learn
The game you will make in the book is a platformer inspired by Super Crate Box. You will control a little guy in a blue world, trying to collect coins while avoiding enemies.
The game is going to be full featured, and will work on both desktop and mobile devices. Here are all the things we will cover while building the game step by step:
|custom fonts||local storage||tilemaps|
|touch inputs||scaling||device orientation|
|screen shake||debugging||and more|
With all of this new knowledge you will be able to create almost any type of 2D games. And all you need to fully understand this book is have some basic knowledge of programming (variables, loops, etc.)
More and more people are talking about HTML5 games because it's a relatively new technology that has a huge potential. With HTML5 we can build games that work everywhere (desktops, smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, etc.) without the need to download anything.
There are now dozens of HTML5 game frameworks available out there. However, if you are looking for a free, open source, and actively maintained framework, the list quickly narrows down to just a handful of them. And a lot of people consider Phaser to be the best one.
Its main advantage is that it is extremely powerful while still being simple to use.
What People are Saying
This book will take you on the complete journey of building a game in Phaser, with plenty of hints and tips.
By Richard Davey, creator of Phaser
One of the best resources out there to learn Phaser, make your first game, and optimize it for mobile.
By Jesse Freeman, HTML5 evangelist at Amazon
Well written, wonderfully structured, and full of high quality code. This book is excellent.
By Christer Kaitila, creator of onegameamonth
This is the number one source of knowledge if you want to learn Phaser quickly and efficiently.
By Andrzej Mazur, Enclave Games founder
Free Sample Chapter
About the Author
Hey, I'm Thomas Palef. I'm a developer, game designer, and author.
I've created a dozen games with the Phaser framework that were played by hundreds of thousands of people. I really enjoyed building all of these games, and I want to help other people do the same. That's why I decided to write this book.
What You Will Get
Book, the step by step guide to Phaser:
- It's 170 page-long, and clearly explains how Phaser works
- It's DRM-free, and available in pdf, epub and mobi formats
Extra, a new book chapter about optimizations:
- Reduce the number of HTTP requests by combining your files and assets
- Learn how to refactor your code for better readability
Code, to help you create your own games:
- The source code of the book's game, chapter by chapter
- A Phaser cheat sheet, with all the functions used in the book
- Code snipets, the most useful code samples from the book to copy/past
- An empty game template, to jump start the creation of your next game
Games, the commented source code of 3 full featured games:
- Match-3, match 3 blocks of the same color to score points
- Infinite runner, jump at the right time to avoid obstacles